Brave browser support

It seems that the extension doesn’t work in Brave. Since I’ve ditched Chrome, I’d love to continue using this for my Wanikani practice. Any idea what wall it might be running into on the more privacy-focused brave browser from the same Chromium code base?

1 Like

The issue is the Speech Recognition API is not implemented in any other browsers except for Chrome currently. I added a special message in the tutorial for Vivaldi users warning them it wont work, I’ll do the same for Brave, thanks for letting me know!

The only near term suggestion I have for you is to have a barebones Chrome profile/install just for WK reviews, and Brave for everything else :slight_smile:

Ah! I appreciate the feedback and your knowledge about such things. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Understandable that commands do not work in brave.
But Is it possible to support just the dictation mode in brave and edge browsers?

1 Like

Definitely not in Brave. There’s a chance that we can get Edge to work.

Yes support for any additional browser will be very helpful

1 Like

I believe that Browsing within a secure environment is becoming more and more important in this world of Breaches and privacy violations. When you start using Brave you realize the 10s of trackers that are on our back all the time. The amount of information that is being picked up from us, every browsing-second, is, at least, mind-boggling, to say the least.

A workaround that would allow us to use Lipsurf on Brave would be really appreciated.

Cheers.

1 Like

Can you enlighten why, “Definitely not in Brave”?

Indeed. I am one of the masses who sadly, will not use a product like this until it is implemented in a secure browser–currently for me, that browser is Brave.

It’s missing the speech recognition API that we need. That being said, there are newer STT engines being released that are supported in more browsers and are also offline. They will not have the same accuracy due to their immaturity, but one day LipSurf will use them and be available in other browsers.

is there any update on this? Is there any way to get lipsurf to work with chromium forks that are more privacy based like ungoogled-chromium, even if brave doesn’t work?
If not is there an option to just install the speech recognition code and not the rest of the google code? I have some coding experience and would like to see if it would be possible to get working