Desktop Companion App and System Keyboard Shortcuts in ChromeOS

Hi Miko, the new companion app sounds very promising as a solution to the press commands not working after Chrome 98. I am glad we are getting this functionality back. I’ve been wanting to try it, but my main device is a Chromebook. Will the upcoming Linux version be compatible with ChromeOS? I am familiar with installing Linux apps on Crostini, the built in Linux terminal on ChromeOS.

1 Like

Hi @EmeraldSplash14, I moved this to a new topic because it warrants its own discussion. I’m using a linux version myself and it works perfectly. But Linux in ChromeOS is sandboxed and runs in a VM separated from Chrome. It doesn’t work as a native extension host as it does in ordinary linux. I think there’s chances are slim that we’re going to get this working.

Nonetheless, I’ve installed ChromeOS on my machine and I’m playing around with it to see if it’s possible via port-forwarding from the VM or maybe even an Android app. Will keep you updated, but ChromeOS is pretty locked down and not sure this is even possible.

1 Like