Location of custom shortcuts?

So I mentioned in another thread that importing custom shortcuts is currently not working for me. On the off chance that this is because of something buggy with the import feature, I would like to try to directly edit the file where the custom shortcuts are located and see if adding them that way would work. I’ve looked through the folder but I can’t seem to find where they’re located. What would the path be for a Mac?

They’re only stored in a file if you export them. I will try to see if I can find any bugs with importing/exporting.

Thank you!

I have a follow-up question because I I know that it can take time to track bugs down and Implement fixes. I was looking at the plug-in documentation earlier, and I had an idea for a workaround for the custom shortcut issues that I want to run by you because I’m not confident I understand completely correctly.

So from the documentation, it looks like I could create a plug-in specified with dictation mode context where is the appropriate commands for typing when it hears certain words, and put in the homonyms the various ways that lip surf garbles. If I understand correctly, this would functionally work the same, but I would have to create a plug-in for every name. Do I understand the function correctly?

You see, some names have about 8 to 10 different variants that are heard, and even though I can copy paste from the Json file to the add shortcut window, that still is tedious. I have over 60 shortcuts and easily 2/3 of them are from variant hearing. If this is indeed how a plug-in would work, once I had a functioning template, it would be easier to create a plug-in where I can enter all the possible homonyms (and add more as needed) for each name then to manually enter so many shortcuts.

If I’ve got it right, then I would have an individual toggle for each name plugin, which would be useful because there are names of folks I know that lip surf detects as more common names, like Sarah instead of Vera. I don’t want to add a shortcut to change Sarah to Vera in every case because well there are people named Sarah that I’m talking about. It would be very convenient if I could simply toggle that correction depending on context. It would also be useful for writing, because in fantasy and sci-fi sometimes common words get spelled differently; I’m thinking of words like daemon instead of demon. Since I do my writing online in Google Docs, I would love to be able to toggle the substitution depending on what I’m doing.

If I’ve got it wrong, is there a way to do what I’m describing within the plug-in system?

Thank you so much for your patience with all my questions and suggestions and stuff. I know that you have to be swamped so I really incredibly appreciate the time you’ve taken for me. :slight_smile:

Yes. That’s possible with the plugins. You don’t need a plug-in for every name. A plugin can have multiple commands, and multiple contexts which are like modes. In your case, I would create a context that you enter that does the replacements eg “enter fantasy mode” and that would do the Sarah -> Vera replacements always, and dictation would continue to work as normal, then you can say “dictation mode” or “normal mode” whenever you want to be able to dictate Sarah without it being replaced.

I would explain more about how custom homosyns work, but that might change a bit with the new system so I will refrain for now.

I can do it with one plug-in? Awesome!

So I had asked previously about whether plugins to be used to bypass the profanity filter and you said that it didn’t work quite that way. If I can set up a plug-in for a fantasy mode that uses homonyms to insert the correct word, wouldn’t I also be able to add profanity to the homonyms? If it wouldn’t work, I’m assuming I’m missing a piece of information about how the profanity filter functions.

I would love to know how the custom shortcut system works, because I’m a total geek that way, but I understand not wanting to go into it if you’re going to be totally revamping how it works. :slight_smile:

Additional question. I doubt that my personal dictionary is of interest to anyone else, but I’m sure there are others who would like a toggleable personal dictionary. Would it be helpful to provide a template version with a guide written for others in language that the less technically savvy can follow? If so, I would keep certain notes as I’m working on it, that I wouldn’t if it’s just going to be something of use to me only. Let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Were you able to solve the problem of homonyms?

I am a professional in data analytics space. Every time I want to dictate the word “metrics” it always types “Matrix”