🎉 New Bunpro, KaniWani, Kitsun.io plugins now available!

One problem I’m having on Bunpro is that I’d like to practice reading the whole sentence instead of just the correct answer, but it doesn’t mark the correct answer if I read the whole sentence.

e.g. (Correct answer is まだ返していません, but it doesn’t count as correct if I say あの本をまだ返していません)

1 Like

Another thing I have noticed is that if the review has multiple possible answers, only the “main” one gets accepted by Lipsurf.

e.g.

Here I say どちらが, but it doesn’t get marked as correct
If I type どちらが manually, it gets accepted and shows the main correct answer (とどちらが). I can press A to alternate among multiple valid solutions.
If I try saying とどちあらが instead, it marks the review as correct.

1 Like

This is something some folks in the Bunpro forum were asking for also, it wasn’t as straightforward to implement this and get it working generally as I’d hoped

This may be a limitation on how the plugin gets the answer from Bunpro. I’ll look into what can be done, it may require a change on Bunpro side

Thanks for the feedback

1 Like

Hi - I have been trying out the Bunpro plugin, and it doesn’t seem to really work at all.

Is this still working? I know Bunpro recently renovated the whole review system. Did that break the plugin?

Thanks.

yes it looks like they removed the support they previously had implemented. I will email them and ask if it can be fixed. if they can’t or won’t it may be difficult to support the plugin

I haven’t forgotten about this, but did not have time to test more until today. The Bunpro developers did get back to me and make a change to their site, however today I discovered that their refactor broke more than one thing (specifically, they changed the way submitting answers worked). I’ve emailed them again asking for support.

If the Bunpro devs can get back to me promptly, I will try to incorporate their advice or change to fix the script. But if they do not reply or cannot help within a month I won’t be able to continue supporting this particular script since it requires paying for LipSurf premium, which I no longer use. I’m exploring alternatives for hands-free Japanese study web apps (standalone user scripts or maybe something using Talon)

The source code is available here, including the fix which incorporates Bunpro’s latest change, and including documentation on the Bunpro support. Note this is still non-functional pending additional help from Bunpro

the Bunpro developers got back to me, and gave some advice on how to interact with the page post-review refactor. I have pushed an updated version to Github which is tagged 0.0.6 and this is now working for me. However, it only works on reviews (not “cram” mode). The cram mode would require another change on Bunpro’s side.

Some other commands (show info, hint, etc) may not work, but submitting answers in reviews is working for me. @Tricky_Gnosis let me know if you get a chance to try it

Hey thanks! I just tried it. I only have vocab reviews left right now, and it doesn’t seem to work for those. It reverts to Japanese input, but all of the vocab answers are in English.

Does this only work for grammar questions?

Thanks again!

@Tricky_Gnosis try this version now. I didn’t know there was another mode to vocab

Yeah that works now too thanks a lot!

The command words don’t seem to work in English mode for the vocab. Is that by design?

This is my first time getting one of these scripts to work on a Japanese learning site and it is pretty slick. Thanks for your work on this!

it’s not by design, it’s just an oversight. I don’t use Bunpro for vocabulary personally. I can fix this soon

You’re welcome, hope it is useful for you

Ah OK thanks. I wasn’t sure if there was a technical reason preventing the command words from working in both situations.

I hear you about using other services/methods for vocab. I use Wanikani too. I found that Bunpro’s system is a really fast way to get the various non-Kanji words that Wanikani doesn’t cover. I also like that it has the vocab decks for the various textbooks similar to jpdb.io.

Anyway, I really appreciate your work on this. It is pretty cool now that I’ve actually been able to try it. I hope the Wanikani module gets fixed soon too!

@Tricky_Gnosis I believe I have fixed next/wrong commands in vocabulary, and hint/info commands in grammar cards. please try the 0.0.6 version again from here when you have a chance

just to be clear, the Wanikani mode is an official feature of Lipsurf and I’m not involved with it

1 Like

Oh yeah I was clear on that and I appreciate your work all the more for it!

I was just expressing that using your plugin showed me how well it may work for Wanikani, when it works.

Yes I just did a session and the command words seemed to be working. Great work on this, I really appreciate it!

1 Like

And here is the second screenshot (only one screenshot per post, apologies, I hope I’ll stop being a “new user” sometime soon))

Hey! Thank you so much for developing this plugin, and apologies for disturbing such a long branch.

I believe bunpro plugin does not work for me. I tried the latest version available on Github (this turned out to be the one from your latest comment as well, this one).

I turned on the plugin, it detected bunpou, kicked into japanese mode. However, I can’t make a single command work. When I say hint or info or try to say the answer itself, I get a bunch of errors in the console. Maybe this is due to some latest updates of either bunpou or lipsurf?

Here are the two screenshots of the console after I get into reviews, try saying the answer a few times or saying “hint”"info". I slightly intersected them to cover the whole console

(the second screenshot in a new post because I’m a new user and this platform disallowed 2 media in a post)

I really want this plugin to work. I’m using this with Wanikani and it really transformed my learning experience. I would gladly sponsor you on Github if you continued to maintain the plugin.

I even tried finding the root of the problem myself but oh well, I’m not good in js and did not want to spend a lot of time, to be honest.

Im having issues with the kitsun plugin, it works for a bit of and on and then stops inputing at all, its starts with with not being able to switch beween english and japanese then stops inputing. Is it because of ceratin card layouts or switching between languages